Sunday, August 2, 2009

ditch the bag

I religiously ate popcorn from a bag for most of my life. Like twice a week atleast. I would eat a bag of popcorn for dinner A LOT while recording in the studio. And I got to thinking about a few things. A) its simplicity. corn kernels + really high heat = popcorn B) the funny film left on the inside of my mouth after devouring a bag of microwaved popcorn and C) the idea of exposing my body to chemicals in the 'butter flavored' snack

So I discovered very quickly that making my own popcorn was MUCH more affordable and SO MUCH MORE delicious than any popcorn I've ever had from a bag! You can literally put anything on your popcorn but I always make it how I love it. Movie theatre style.

Movie Night

1/4 cup yellow or white corn kernels
2 tablespoons of canola oil
1 tablespoon of real margarine (salted and melted)
2 teaspoons of ultra fine salt (you can usually find super fine salt in the same aisle as you will find your kernels) or however much salt you prefer.

In a large pot:

heat your oil and kernels on high heat while covered tightly with a lid. Once you hear the first 'pop', don't go far because you'll need to give a good little shake to the pot about every 10-20 seconds to keep your popcorn from burning. once the popcorn starts really popping, lower your heat to medium high to further prevent burning. After about 3-4 minutes of active popping, remove from heat and shake a few times until you stop hearing it pop.

Sprinkle your salt on top and your melted butter. Stir with a spoon and then pour into a large bowl. Sometimes I add a little fresh ground black pepper for a kick.

simple bliss.