Friday, February 20, 2009

A brief run down

I've been preparing meals for years (around 14 years) and have learned much about food along the way. I started cooking at the age of 13. My first dish was an Indian curry for a school project and ever since I've been hooked.

First, I will quickly explain how I grocery shop. I go to the Reading Terminal Market here in Philadelphia once a week to gather my fresh produce and organic meats & fish. I go to the 'grocery store' when I need to for canned beans, milk, bread (you know, the basics). I almost never buy prepared foods. I do not like feeding additives and preservative to myself or my loved ones. I think it's important to keep it fresh and simple. I used to spend so much money at the grocery but quickly learned that if I utilize the fantastic reading terminal, it cuts my grocery bill almost in half. I can walk into the market with 30.00 and come out fully stocked for the week.

I cook several styles of cuisine with my own twist to most simply because I'm adventurous when it comes to a meal and I never follow recipes (unless I'm baking). I usually only cook for two unless I'm throwing a cocktail party or cooking a meal for friends. I will make a note when the recipe feeds more than two. If you are cooking for more than two, double the recipe (or triple it depending on how many people).

I'm not a 'trained' chef so please understand that my approach is not that of one. I am very relaxed about how my ingredients are used. If you see something you don't think you will like in one of my recipes, leave it out. You should cook to your taste. If we share the same taste, lucky you!

I will type my recipes out the same way I would if I were telling you how to make the dish. Some recipes will appear to be long and difficult, but I can assure you that you shouldn't let all of the words misguide you. Just imagine that I am in your kitchen telling you how to do it step by step. It's more personal that way.

Enjoy and keep trying new things.

~N